Piazza Cavalli is the central square of Piacenza. Formerly called Piazza Grande, it owes its current name to the presence of the two equestrian monuments.
The two knights represent Alessandro and Ranuccio Farnese, the third and fourth dukes of Piacenza and Parma, respectively. The two statues were commissioned in the early 1600s directly by Ranuccio, Alessandro's son, on the occasion of his son's baptism.
Italian sculptor Fancesco Mochi (1580 - 1654) also known as Mochi da Montevarchi, created the two monuments in 16 years. Today, the two bronze statues are also known as Mochi's Horses.